BYU Nursing Class of 2006: Where I am, What I'm Doing..

Wednesday, October 11, 2006




Jamie Glenn switched from Georgetown's FNP program to Midwifery and Women's Health. She had visited a clinic in Utah and shadowed the doctor that practiced there and thought it was her dream job. "It's really the only thing I've felt passionate about in the entire realm of nursing."

"So I started school in the FNP program and things became more clear as I went along in my coursework: my interest was always peaked whenever we were learning about women's health topics, preconception planning, genetic counseling, etc. I really wasn't that excited about starting clinical in the FNP program because I knew I would just be doing it as a means to an end. It suddenly occured to me, "Why don't I just specialize in women's health from the get-go?" That way, I could have the job I wanted sooner, I would have a lot more intensive knowledge and training in women's health, and I would be passionate about EVERYTHING I was learning!

"I made the switch (luckily we have three classes that are core classes for all NP students this semester, so I only had two new classes to add) about a week ago, and I have wondered why I didn't realize this before. It just fits. It's exactly who I am. Kinda crazy that I had to find it in such a roundabout way, but now that I'm here, I just have so much peace about my life and have so much more enthusiasm about my education."

Jamie will still be done by next December (2007), except she'll be sitting for the WHNP certification later because she's not about to try to do two crazy certification tests back to back.

"The last semester of the program is like our BYU capstone, except there is absolutely no classroom requirement, which basically means I can choose anywhere I want (that will agree to contract with Georgetown) and do a full-time (unpaid) internship for my last 4 months of school. Most people are offered jobs at the places where they do their "integration." If I can learn some Spanish between now and this summer, I might go with some of the other midwifery students to a 6-week experience in Ecuador for midwives."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home